What’s the Right Way to Floss?
What is the right way to floss? Many people struggle with flossing on a daily basis, but it is just as important as brushing. Here is how to do it correctly.
- Start with about 18 inches of floss. Wrap most of it around the middle finger of one hand, the rest around the other middle finger.
- Grasp the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers, and use a gentle shoeshine motion to guide it between teeth.
- When the floss reaches the gum line, form a C shape to follow the contours of the tooth.
- Hold the floss firmly against the tooth, and move the floss gently up and down.
- Repeat the entire process with the rest of your teeth, using fresh sections of floss as you go along.
Floss helps dislodge food particles that have been trapped between the teeth and under the gums where your toothbrush cant reach. If not removed bacteria can buildup and can lead to cavities, bad breath and gum disease.
We recommend to floss your teeth after each meal, but flossing before bed can help you in the long run. If you have any questions about our flossing recommendations do not hesitate to give us a call, we would love to give you our expert advice on daily flossing needs!